It was January 7th. I had been off of work for winter break since December 19th. I was supposed to go back to work on Monday, January 6th but school was cancelled on the 6th and 7th due to extreme cold temperatures. I was two days past my “guess date” which was making me eager, especially after having two weeks off of work and being stuck inside for two days straight, but Matt and I ended up having a productive, yet relaxing day. That morning I listened to my “Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations” while making breakfast and then did the “Hypnotic Childbirth #1” home-play. I then did my pelvic floor exercises (click here to learn about the Restorative Exercise ™ this mom did with local Hypnobabies instructor and Restorative Exercise ™ Specialist Lindsay McCoy) followed by a DVD pregnancy yoga session to relieve some lower-back discomfort I was having. While doing the yoga DVD, I started to feel a dull, constant ache/cramping. It felt like constant pressure on my pelvis. Matt asked me if it was anything that I could time, but I couldn’t since it was constant with no beginning or end. It lasted for about an hour or two and then went away. To fill our day, we decided to organize some childhood photos into photo books, play cards and make some soup.
Bubble of Peace Warning/Message from HBTC: This story is about a couple who dealt with some major changes of plans during the time leading up to their birth, and throughout their birthing time. Everyone stays healthy throughout this story, but it is about the difficult situation most couples are placed in when there are few if any providers who can offer any option other than a cesarean when a baby is breech...
The story of my daughter’s birth started two days before I went into my birthing time, during my 39th week check-up. I showed up to my midwife’s office confident that this would be my last visit; Baby was coming any day now. I was not prepared for her troubled expression as she started feeling my belly and her announcement that Baby had moved into a breech position since our last appointment. She sent me for an immediate ultrasound that confirmed it.
Around 4:00 am I started getting pressure waves. They weren't close together so Brian and I hung around the house and I listened to my Hypnobabies CD's while sitting on my birthing ball or laying in bed.
Around 5:00 pm the waves were five minutes apart so we called Methodist to let them know we would be coming. I was totally thrown off when they told me they were full and we would need to go to another hospital. After weighing our options, we decided to go to St. Francis because they are a part of the same midwife group as Methodist. Unfortunately, that meant I couldn't do a water birth. I was really upset about the situation but Brian helped me stay focused. He reminded me that we would be meeting our daughter soon.